When it comes to driving after a long day’s work or taking one of those long road trips, trying to stay alert and awake can be a challenge. Most of us are guilty of it - we’ve experienced those moments on the road where you close your eyes for just a second and snap up awake right after, probably frightened that you allow yourself to do so.
Here are some tips on how to stay alert and stay safe on the road:
- Get a good night’s rest before driving. If you don’t get a good sleep, especially before a long drive, this can greatly affect your ability to stay alert and awake.
- Stay engaged with your passengers, if possible, or play something that will keep your mind thinking. Chat with your passengers or sing along to some tunes. Before you start your drive, pick a playlist or podcast to listen to that will grab your interest and help you stay awake.
- If you are traveling a long distance and have others in the car, make sure to take turns behind the wheel so that each driver can have a nap in between turns to stay awake while driving.
- If you’re feeling sleepy, roll down your window. The wind rush from outside is actually stimulating and can help wake up your sense and keep you alert. If this doesn’t help, it is best to find a safe place to pull over to rest.
- An audio book is another great way to stay alert. Try an app that has audio books that you can play on your vehicle’s radio.
- If you’re on the road for a while, there’s nothing wrong with stopping and taking a break. This will help you move around and stretch your legs. It will also help to restimulate your body.
- Don’t forget to bring snacks and water on your drive - this will give you energy along the way.
If you are feeling extremely tired, never get behind the wheel. Take a nap before leaving or plan another time to take your drive. Falling asleep on the road is extremely dangerous and can be avoided with proper rest and planning.